In the old town market received (, arcades 1906-09 ff 1556th.. Local History museum and Others) were at in historical proportions in the Second World War badly damaged building of the Old Town Hall and the Old Scale (1555), the significant participation of H. Lotter have arisen, rebuilt. The Romanushaus (1701/03) and the Fregehaus (1706/07), both by Johann G. Fuchs, are located on Katharinenstrasse(both restored). Behind the town hall on Naschmarkt is the early baroque Old Stock Exchange (1678–87), to the southwest the high Gothic St. Thomas Church (on the previous building from the 12th century, choir consecrated in 1355, nave 1482–96, tower 1537; 1991–2000 for the last time fundamentally renovated with a new one installed Bach organ), one of the earliest Upper Saxon hall churches, active (from 1723) and burial place of Johann Sebastian Bach; in front of the south portal the Bach monument (1908 by C. Seffner). To the south of it, Hugo Licht built the New Town Hall in 1899–1905 on the site of the former Pleißenburg (new building 1550–67) including a tower of the castle. To the east of the market is the Nikolaikirche (14th century, classicistically redesigned by Johann C. F.Dauthe) with the Alte Nikolaischule (1511/12, later expanded and restored several times, most recently 1991–94), which today is ao. houses the university’s collection of antiquities.
After the city wall was razed and the fortifications were partially redesigned into promenades at the end of the 18th century, structural changes in the city began around 1830, including: new suburbs emerged (e.g. Gartenstadt Marienbrunn, 1911–14). The Bavarian train station was built in 1841–44. Representative buildings from late classicism and neo-renaissance dominated the cityscape until around 1870 (old booksellers exchange, 1836; main post office, 1836; university building, 1836; new theater, 1864–67 by C. F. Langhans). As a result of the industrial growth, banks and insurance buildings clad in natural stone, trade fair and department stores, have been built since the early days. The Reichsbank building was built on the site of the medieval Peterskirche from 1886–88, around the same time the concert hall (Neues Gewandhaus, 1882–84, destroyed in 1943) by M. Gropius, the neo-Gothic Peterskirche (1882–85), the imperial court building (1887–96; since 2002 seat of the Federal Administrative Court) of L. Hoffmann, the Musikhochschule (1885–87) von Licht and the neo-Romanesque Taborkirche (1902–04). The Riquethaus (1908) and the main building of the zoological garden (1899/1900) are committed to Art Nouveau. In 1907–15 the largest terminal station in Europe was built (1995–97 by the architects’ office Hentrich-Petschnigg & Partner modernly redesigned). The Deutsche Bücherei (1914–16, today with a book and writing museum) was expanded from 1959–65 and a book magazine was added in 1978–82. The Krochhochhaus with carillon was built on Augustusplatz in 1927/28.
The development of the goods fair into a global model fair resulted in numerous “fair palaces” with passageways, restaurants and cultural institutions: Städtisches Kaufhaus, 1893–1901; Specks Hof, 1908/09; Mädlerpassage, 1912–14 (with Auerbachs Keller); Petershof, 1927–29 in the New Objectivity style and the neo-classical »concrete hall« (1912, with reinforced concrete dome 32 m in diameter) by W. Kreis on the old exhibition grounds. The two massive domes (span 75 m each) of the wholesale market hall not far from the old exhibition grounds are an outstanding achievement in reinforced concrete construction.
With the reconstruction of the city begun in 1950 and the urban redesign, seven to nine-storey buildings were created on Roßplatz. On Augustusplatz (until 1990 Karl-Marx-Platz), the opera house (1956–60) was built on the site of the destroyed Langhans Theater, the former Interhotel “Germany” (1963–65), the group of buildings of the university (1968–75; after The St. Pauli University Church was blown up, founded in 1229, rebuilt 1479–1521) and the New Gewandhaus (1977–81) based on a design by Horst Siegel; in front of the Gewandhaus is the Mende Fountain (1886) with an 18 m high obelisk.
Since the 1980s, and especially since the early 1990s, several city center areas have been renewed and redesigned: Moritzbastei (originally 1551–53, reconstructed 1974–82), Grimmaische Strasse, Thomaskirchhof (1983–85) with the reconstructed Bose House (now Johann-Sebastian -Bach Museum). Numerous art-historically significant buildings have been reconstructed and restored (Paulaner Palais, Klingerhaus, Städtisches Kaufhaus, “Coffe Baum” coffee house, residential buildings in the Waldstrasse district), as well as former exhibition halls and passages (including Barthels Hof, Mädlerpassage, Petershof, Specks Hof, Stentzlers Hof, “Strohsack «). The new buildings include the »Peek & Cloppenburg« department store (design: C. Moore, Completed in 1994), the »Haus des Buches« opened in 1996 (design: Hentrich-Petschnigg & Partner et al.), The Brockhauszentrum (1993–95) and »Löhr’s Carré« (1993–96). The gallery for contemporary art received an extension by Peter Kulka (opened in 1998; including the Herfurth villa from the Wilhelminian era and a neighboring house) and an exhibition hall (opened in 2004; by grundei.kaindl.teckert). For the Museum of Fine Arts on Sachsenplatz, plans by the architects Hufnagel, Pütz, Rafaelian a new building erected (opened in 2004); The new building of the City History Museum (opened in 2004) is also located on the southeast corner of the square. The Grassimuseum (1925–27) on Johannisplatz, which was badly damaged in 1943 and 1945 and then only sparsely restored, has undergone extensive reconstruction since 1992. The plans for the “Marktgalerie” shopping arcade, which was built in 2003–05 on the western side of the market, were designed by Christoph Mäckler. The redesign of the university campus on Augustusplatz, including the new building of the Paulinum – auditorium and St. Pauli University Church, was based on a design by the Rotterdam architect E. van Egeraat.
In the north is the Gohlis district with the Friedenskirche (1871), the Schillerhaus (museum) and the Gohliser Schlösschen (around 1755/56) and the Reconciliation Church (1929–32). In the southeast of the city are the Russian Memorial Church (1912/13) and the Monument to the Battle of the Nations (1898–1913, by Clemens Thieme based on plans by B. Schmitz). The Neu-Gohlis housing estate (»Kroch-Siedlung«, based on a design by Paul Mebes and Paul Emmerich) and the »Rundling« (based on a design by Hubert Ritter) in Loessnig provide examples of new building(both systems completed in 1930). The Schönauer Park (around 1880) and the Robert Koch Park (around 1900) as well as two new sacred buildings, the Protestant Pauluskirche (1981–83) and the Catholic community center Sankt Martin (1984), are located in the Großplattensiedlung Grünau. The central building of the BMW plant (opened in 2005) was built near the New Trade Fair in the north of the city based on plans by Zaha Hadid and Patrik Schumacher. – Leipzig was the starting point for the allotment garden movement (opening of the »German Museum of the Allotment Gardening Movement« in 1996).