Shandaken is a small town located in Ulster County, New York. The population of Shandaken is around 2,000 people, making it one of the smallest towns in the county. Geographically, Shandaken sits on the edge of the Catskill Mountains and is surrounded by lush forests and rivers. The climate in Shandaken is temperate, with mild winters and hot summers.
The history of Shandaken dates back to the 1700s when it was first settled by Dutch settlers. Over time, the town grew and became an integral part of Ulster County’s economy. During the 19th century, Shandaken saw a boom in its lumber industry which brought many jobs and wealth to the area.
Politically, Shandaken is a part of Ulster County and has representatives that serve both on local and state levels. The economy in Shandaken is mostly based on tourism as well as agriculture, with dairy farming being one of its main industries. There are several schools located in Shandaken, including an elementary school and a high school.
Some of the most notable landmarks in Shandaken include Ashokan Reservoir which was built during World War I to provide water for New York City; Platte Clove Preserve which includes some of New York’s oldest forests; Kaaterskill Falls which have been featured prominently in many works of art; as well as numerous other parks such as Belleayre Mountain Ski Center and Slide Mountain Wilderness Area.
Population: 3,235. Estimated population in July 2020: 3,160 (-2.3% change)
Males: 1,604 (49.6%), Females: 1,631 (50.4%)
Zip code: 12480
Median resident age: 45.0 years
Median household income: $31,566
Median house value: $91,200
Races in Shandaken:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.3%)
- Hispanic (3.1%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
- American Indian (1.4%)
- Black (1.2%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (26.2%), Irish (20.2%), English (13.8%), Italian (10.2%), Dutch (8.2%), Polish (4.7%).
Elevation: 1040 feet
Shandaken, New York is a small town located in Ulster County, in the Catskill Mountains region of New York. It has a population of approximately 1,800 people and the median household income is approximately $40,000. The cost of living in Shandaken is significantly lower than other areas of the state; housing costs are particularly low with the median home value being just over $100,000. Renting an apartment or house in Shandaken can be relatively affordable; most one-bedroom apartments rent for around $900 per month. Utilities are also relatively low compared to other parts of the state.
The town itself has a rural feel with plenty of outdoor activities available for residents and visitors alike. There are numerous hiking trails throughout the area, as well as fishing spots and several lakes that offer swimming and boating opportunities. The town also offers a variety of local businesses including restaurants, grocery stores and retail shops which add to its small-town charm. Additionally, there are many festivals that take place throughout the year providing entertainment and cultural stimulation for locals and visitors alike.
For population 25 years and over in Shandaken
- High school or higher: 84.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 26.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 10.0%
- Unemployed: 5.4%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shandaken town
- Never married: 26.2%
- Now married: 51.1%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 12.1%
11.9% Foreign born (8.3% Europe, 2.6% Asia).
Hospitals/medical centers near Shandaken:
- MARGARETVILLE MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; MARGARETVILLE, NY)
- WESTCHESTER ELLENVILLE HOSPITAL INC (about 28 miles; ELLENVILLE, NY)
- BENEDICTINE HOSPITAL (about 29 miles; KINGSTON, NY)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Shandaken:
- SULLIVAN COUNTY INTL (about 40 miles; MONTICELLO, NY; Abbreviation: MSV)
- STEWART INT’L (about 48 miles; NEWBURGH, NY; Abbreviation: SWF)
- DUTCHESS COUNTY (about 50 miles; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Abbreviation: POU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Shandaken:
- MABEN (about 11 miles; LEXINGTON/PRATTSVILLE, NY; Abbreviation: N00)
- JOSEPH Y RESNICK (about 28 miles; ELLENVILLE, NY; Abbreviation: N89)
- FREEHOLD (about 29 miles; FREEHOLD, NY; Abbreviation: 1I5)
Colleges and Universities
Note: See jibin123 for a list of New York graduate schools.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shandaken:
- SUNY COLLEGE AT NEW PALTZ (about 33 miles; NEW PALTZ, NY; Full-time enrollment: 6,334)
- SUNY COLLEGE OF AGRIC AND TECHN AT COBLESKILL (about 41 miles; COBLESKILL, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,208)
- CULINARY INSTITUTE OF AMERICA (about 42 miles; HYDE PARK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,028)
- MARIST COLLEGE (about 44 miles; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,646)
- DUTCHESS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 44 miles; POUGHKEEPSIE, NY; Full-time enrollment: 4,112)
- ORANGE COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 47 miles; MIDDLETOWN, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,486)
- SUNY COLLEGE AT ONEONTA (about 52 miles; ONEONTA, NY; Full-time enrollment: 5,333)