According to Campingship, Carlin, Nevada is a city located in the northwestern part of the state, nestled in the foothills of the Ruby Mountains. The area boasts a semi-arid climate with cold winters and hot summers. The city has a rich history beginning with its incorporation in 1908 as a stage stop on the Central Pacific Railroad. The railroad was eventually replaced by highways and Carlin became an important stop for travelers and freight heading north to Idaho or south to Las Vegas. In recent years, Carlin has seen an influx of new residents due to its low cost of living and proximity to the Ruby Mountains for outdoor recreation.
The economy of Carlin is largely based on agriculture, mining, and tourism. The city is home to several large farms that produce alfalfa hay, corn, wheat, and other crops. Mining also plays an important role in the local economy with several open-pit gold mines operating nearby. Tourism has been steadily increasing over the past few years due to its proximity to Elko and other nearby attractions such as Lamoille Canyon and Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge.
Carlin is served by two public schools: Carlin Elementary School and Carlin High School. Both schools are part of the Elko County School District which provides many educational opportunities for students including advanced placement classes and career technical education programs. In addition to these two schools there are several private schools located in Carlin as well as a community college offering courses in various fields such as business, nursing, engineering, and more.
Carlin is home to several popular landmarks including the historic railroad depot which now houses a museum dedicated to local history; Elkhorn Park which offers camping sites; Lamoille Canyon which is known for its beautiful scenery; Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge which is home to hundreds of species of birds; and Fort Halleck State Historic Park which was built during World War II as an artillery training site for soldiers from all around the United States.
In addition to these landmarks there are also many cultural activities taking place throughout Carlin such as concerts at local parks or art galleries showcasing local artwork from talented artists from around the area. There are also many restaurants serving up delicious food from all over Nevada including Mexican food at La Paloma Restaurant or Italian dishes at La Trattoria Italiana Ristorante Pizzeria Napolitana where you can enjoy some delicious pizza or pasta dishes with your family or friends after exploring all that Carlin has to offer!
Population: 2,161. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,083 (-3.6% change)
Males: 1,126 (52.1%), Females: 1,035 (47.9%)
Zip code: 89822
Median resident age: 33.9 years
Median household income: $49,571
Median house value: $92,200
Races in Carlin:
- White Non-Hispanic (87.5%)
- Hispanic (8.4%)
- Other race (3.8%)
- American Indian (3.0%)
- Two or more races (1.9%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (19.6%), German (17.7%), Irish (14.4%), English (13.9%), Italian (4.3%), French (3.0%).
Elevation: 4900 feet
Land area: 9.2 square miles
Carlin, Nevada is a small city located in Elko County in the western region of the state. It has a population of approximately 2,400 people as of 2019. The majority of Carlin’s population is made up of Caucasian Americans, accounting for about 86% of the total population. Native American and African American populations make up around 9% and 2%, respectively. Interestingly, Carlin also has a significant Hispanic or Latino population, accounting for nearly 11% of its residents.
The city is home to a diverse range of ages, with almost one-third (32%) aged between 25 and 44 years old and nearly one-quarter (24%) aged between 45 and 64 years old. This means that Carlin is home to an active adult population who are well established in their careers or retired. Additionally, the city has a slightly higher proportion (14%) of children under 18 years old compared to the rest of Elko County (13%). This suggests that Carlin is an ideal place for young families looking to settle down and raise children in a tight-knit community environment.
For population 25 years and over in Carlin
- High school or higher: 81.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 8.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 28.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Carlin city
- Never married: 17.8%
- Now married: 61.1%
- Separated: 2.0%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 13.9%
3.3% Foreign born (1.6% Latin America, 0.8% Asia, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: -135 (-5.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Carlin:
- NORTHEASTERN NV REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; ELKO, NV)
- BATTLE MOUNTAIN GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 70 miles; BATTE MTN, NV)
- OWYHEE COMMUNITY HEALTH FACILITY (about 86 miles; OWYHEE, NV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Carlin:
- ELKO REGIONAL (about 24 miles; ELKO, NV; Abbreviation: EKO)
- ELY ARPT /YELLAND FLD/ (about 133 miles; ELY, NV; Abbreviation: ELY)
- WENDOVER (about 145 miles; WENDOVER, UT; Abbreviation: ENV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Carlin:
- CRESCENT VALLEY (about 38 miles; CRESCENT VALLEY, NV; Abbreviation: U74)
- BATTLE MOUNTAIN (about 53 miles; BATTLE MOUNTAIN, NV; Abbreviation: BAM)
- STEVENS-CROSBY (about 57 miles; NORTH FORK, NV; Abbreviation: 08U)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Carlin:
- COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN IDAHO (about 169 miles; TWIN FALLS, ID; Full-time enrollment: 3,433)
- BOISE STATE UNIVERSITY (about 189 miles; BOISE, ID; Full-time enrollment: 12,033)
- UNIVERSITY OF NEVADA-RENO (about 241 miles; RENO, NV; Full-time enrollment: 10,375)
- TRUCKEE MEADOWS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 268 miles; RENO, NV; Full-time enrollment: 4,615)
- WESTERN NEVADA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 276 miles; Carson City, NV; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- SOUTHERN UTAH UNIVERSITY (about 289 miles; CEDAR CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 5,091)
- UNIVERSITY OF PHOENIX-UTAH CAMPUS (about 290 miles; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Full-time enrollment: 2,021)
Public high school in Carlin:
- CARLIN HS (Students: 221; Location: 552 EIGHTH STREET; Grades: 07 – 12)